For maximum results, spend the week prior to your competition spray appointment exfoliating and moisturizing your body. There are several kinds of competition exfoliates and moisturizers to choose from. The recommended competition exfoliate is a pre tan body scrub that is fragrance free and is PH balanced. For a moisturizer we recommend any moisturizer that is fragrance free like Aveeno or St. Ive’s. The DAY OF your spray tan, DO NOT MOISTURIZE – EXFOLIATE ONLY With Baking Soda Mixture and an exfoliation mitt. ** If you choose to use a tanning bed for a base tan, DO NOT BURN! We cannot fix peeling skin and you will not have a good look on stage once spray tanned.
Instructions for the week of your competition tan (Ideally Monday, Wed and Fri.)
1) Make a thick bricky paste of baking soda AND a non-moisturizing liquid gel soap such as Dial soap , and gently wash the entire body. Then, gently exfoliate from head to toe, with nylon exfoliating gloves or a nylon mesh cloth. Do Not Use any bar soaps or other commercially made scrubs the week of your tan. It may leave a heavy lotion layer on the skin that can build up and prevent spray tanning solution to penetrate or cause poor fading and or patches.
2) Pay special attention to your knees, elbows, hands, feet and heels. The better condition your skin is in, the better the product will absorb, the more flawless your tan will look, and you will have a more even fade after your competition. *Avoid all loofa/loofah gloves, pads and sponges. PLEASE MAKE SURE you wash again with the non-moisturizing liquid gel soap after exfoliating. This will ensure that there is not an excess of oily residue on your skin should your own choice of body scrub contains too much oil. DO NOT USE SHAVING CREAMS/FOAMS THE DAY OF TANNING (IF YOU DO PLEASE EXFOLIATE WITH THE MIXTURE LISTED ABOVE)
3) It is suggested that you have shaved at least 8 hours before your spray tan, preferably the night before, and all waxing completed at least 72 hours prior if you're accustomed to waxing. Otherwise, wax 7-10 days before your spray tan appointment. You cannot shave or shower after your color is applied until after your competition.
4) DO NOT put on any make-up, deodorant, perfume/cologne Before or After your spray tan application. Ladies will be able to apply makeup on show day. These products will raise the skin's ph and turn your armpits and body green! For men, painting the finger and toenails with a clear polish will avoid staining of the nails. We will provide barrier cream for this purpose as well, which is easily wiped off after your tan application.
5) Come to us with clean, dry skin wearing dark, loose fitting clothing and flip-flops. Do not wear any RED. The RED dye in cotton will tend to turn your skin GREEN!
6) Please wear an oversized shirt and oversized drawstring (non elastic) waistband style sweatpants made of silky fabrics are best because they glide over your skin and won't disrupt the development of the bronzer. Avoid stiff fabrics!! Tops that “easily” pull OVER your head are best. Avoid Zippers, snaps and buttons! Do Not Wear Jeans!
7) Women can be sprayed nude. If you have long hair, please remember to bring a tie back to keep hair off your shoulders and neck. We will provide a cap for you to wear.
8) Men may wear something smaller than their posing suit, if being sprayed nude is uncomfortable .For the best results, it is easier for us to spray without posing trunks, therefore we will provide socks for coverage.
9) The actual spray tanning session takes about 20 minutes for the application and another 10-20 minutes to complete the drying process. You will feel slightly sticky for about an hour until completely dry.
10) After your color has been applied, please plan to sleep in your loose, over sized clothing until the morning. This will eliminate any inadvertent hand marks on your body during sleep.
11) DO NOT SHOWER or put on any deodorant, perfume/cologne until AFTER your competition.
NOTE *If, during your spray appointment, it has been determined that you have deviated from the above skin prep recommendations without prior communication with me and you are asked to re-shower, you will be charged an additional $50.00. There are NO EXCEPTIONS. This disruption causes a break down in the schedule, creates unnecessary added stress and additional product expense.
*PLEASE ALSO NOTE If you have used a tanning product it is important that it be rinsed off the skin before being sprayed by 1Fit Joker Tanning. Please discuss the use of ANY other tanning products used BEFORE your appointment with us.
We are NOT responsible for poor results with mixing of products that we are unaware of. I have developed these specific skin prep instructions to ensure you receive a flawless tan for your competition.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions regarding these instructions